Free Initial Consultation! Dallas (972) 417-2653 | Carrollton (972) 418-9678    se habla Espanol |


Reimbursement Claims in a Divorce Case

An issue that is commonplace in a divorce case is when one party is requesting that their estate be reimbursed for payments made to community liabilities.  A major question asks by the parties is “what is reimbursement” and “how much can I get reimbursed”?

What does a claim for reimbursement include?

Reimbursement includes a) payment by […]

Spousal Support Basics.

DOES TEXAS HAVE ALIMONY?The Texas Family Code does provide for a person to request the Court to order spousal maintenance in a divorce proceeding. However, it is restricted and limited to circumstances as described below.In a suit for dissolution of a marriage or in a proceeding for maintenance in a court with personaljurisdiction over […]

Is there a quick divorce in Texas?

What is the faster I can get a divorce in Texas?

In todays world of conflict and stress,  a common question I get from clients is – how quickly can I get a divorce.   The answer I give my clients is that in Texas there is a 60 day cooling off period.   Therefore,  you will […]

Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect by a Professional –

Who must report child abuse besides a parent?

A professional has a duty, just like a parent does, to report child abuse whether physical or emotional. A person having cause to believe that a child’s physical or mental health or welfare has been adversely affected by abuse or neglect by any person shall immediately make […]

Can a child Petition for Adult Rights?

Can a minor child request that the disabilities of minority be removed?

The answer is “yes”.   However, certain procedures must be followed before a child disabilities of minority are removed.  What are those requirements? Usually, a child will petition the Court to remove the disabilities of minority for purposes of education or financial reasons.

Under […]

Divorce 101

As a divorce attorney in Texas, the following common questions, especially during this COVID-19 Pandemic times, about getting a divorce are almost always asked by persons calling my office regarding a divorce matter:

How long does a divorce take?

Generally,  there is a 60 day “cooling off period” which starts on the day after your divorce […]

What grounds can the Court use to involuntarily terminate a parent’s rights?

A question that has been asked regularly by persons is whether they can terminate their rights to a child that they allegedly fathered but are not married to the mother.  A court will always look at the best interests of the child in determining whether to terminate a person’s parental rights.  Generally, in most […]

Protective Order in Family Court.

Can I apply for a protective order in family court? In some cases, you are able to get the District Attorney’s Office to assist you in applying for a protective order against a family member, spouse, or individual committed violence against a person. However, in cases where there is a pending […]

Common Law or Informal Marriage?

I have recently had several individuals contact my office requesting a divorce based on a common law marriage.   The most recent inquiry was an individual who had cohabitated with another person for almost 20 years.  They had purchased several homes and had children together.  Even though the persons had never ceremoniously married each other,  […]

Divorce or Annulment?

I have numerous calls to my office from individuals who wish to “annul” their marriage.  Many of the inquiries have the common theme of the marriage being a very short duration marriage.  Individuals have a believe that if their marriage lasted for a short period of time,  the law allows them to “annul” their […]